The inspiration for this recipe was sent to me via Pinterest and came from tasteofhome.
We altered it to be gluten free, omitted the walnuts as our gf daughter doesn't like nuts (booo!) and did away with the sugar syrup drizzle as we prefer something a bit more plain for lunch boxes and after school snacks. Apparently the glaze can help lock in moisture to make it last longer, but that's never really been a problem in our house! Feel free to revert back to the original recipe linked above though if you'd like the other ingredients and quantities.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon gf baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
Before getting started, preheat the oven to 170 degrees C and grease an 8x4in loaf pan. Then...
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, lemon juice and eggs.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; sift into egg mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the blueberries and lemon peel.*
- Transfer to the loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
*Note: If using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter. If using tinned blueberries (sometimes the only thing available), fold in very gently!
Once cooled (or my personal preference while it's still a bit warm) cut into slices - it should yield around 16 but for little ones I cut these in half again. Enjoy preferably in the sunshine with good friends and or happy children.
Love Holly x