All month we have been focusing on lemons... for baking, cooking, choosing treats at coffee shops and out & about. These zesty little fruits are great for so much more than just culinary inspiration however and can be used in a myriad of ways. Here are 10 quick tips on using them around the house.
10 Household Tips For Lemons:
- If you have a waste disposal system, chop up a lemon into small chunks and grind to make your sink smell lemony fresh.
- To get rid of garlic, onion, fish and other strong odours from chopping boards (or your hands!), rub with half a lemon, let dry then rinse with cold water.
- Add lemon peel - pith and pulp removed - to brown sugar to keep it moist and stop it from clumping.
- Use lemon juice as a disinfectant for kitchen and bathroom sinks and surfaces. The juice kills bacteria in a natural way and smells a lot better than chemical cleaning products.
- Clean silver and brass by mixing lemon juice with bicarbonate soda into a paste, rub on with a soft cloth, leave for a few minutes then wash off with warm dish-soapy water.
- Make your own furniture polish by mixing 1 cup of olive oil with 1/2 cup of strained lemon juice in a sealable jar. Dab onto a clean cloth and polish as normal - the lemon juice is great for getting rid of grime whilst the olive oil nourishes the wood and gives a lovely shine. (Do not use on highly polished wooden furniture though!)
- To remove stubborn tea, coffee or limescale stains from cups and glasses, make a solution of equal parts water and lemon juice, let sit in the cup or glass for several hours then wash as usual.
- Freshen up your dishwasher by squashing half a lemon onto one the prongs. The acid will help degrease your dishwasher and the fresh smell will last several cycles.
- To help keep your white washing white, harness the bleaching power of lemons. Add the juice of one lemon to your normal wash cycle for a standard size load, more or less as required.
- Remove fruit stains from clothes by squeezing lemon juice on them before washing - brilliant results!
Love Holly x