This week's Wonderful Woman changes the world by making a difference in children's lives every single day! Regardless of the day of the week, the weather or her particular mood that day, she sits in front of her Year One class at Hukanui Primary School and captures their avid attention. She has a fabulously friendly, firm but fair manner with which she encourages them, supports them and inspires them to greatness. That alone is reason enough to celebrate the amazing Mrs Nicola Rankine! Teachers are often not recognised or appreciated nearly as much as they should be and are such wonderful role models for our children, so I am delighted that Nicola was happy for me to honour her here. She is admired by her peers, extremely well respected amongst parents and completely adored by her little students. Being a first year teacher is a huge responsibility that takes a lot of patience, hard work and hand holding. (both of the children and the parents sometimes!) However, it is also hugely rewarding teaching kids the basic fundamentals of reading, writing and maths, starting them out on their education path, guiding them and setting them up for a lifelong adventure of learning. We felt extremely lucky and privileged to have "Mrs Rankine" as our eldest daughter's amazing Year One teacher. Like so many others that have gone through her classrooms, Arabella had the most fabulously rewarding first year, the memories of which she will always treasure... For that we are eternally grateful.
So Nicola, we thank you, more than I can adequately express, for supporting and guiding our daughter on her learning adventure and for the inspiring work you do every single day with all your students at Hukanui School... x
Now over to you:
1. What does Lovelyness mean to you?
Lovelyness means being true to yourself, kind to the people around you and thinking about others. It may not necessarily mean spending money but just a thought, having an interest and enjoying the simple pleasures of life.
2. When are you happiest? What brings you joy?
My family and my friends bring me the most joy in my life, spending time with these people makes me a better person. Another thing that comes very close to this is inspiring children and seeing the joy in their eyes when they understand something.
3. What are you most grateful for in your life?
My amazing husband and son. They are my tower of support and are always there for me when I need them.
4. What would you list as your top 3 priorities in life?
- Having fun in life, don’t take it so seriously.
- Having empathy for others.
- Looking at the ‘bigger picture in life’ – is it going to matter in a day? Week? Or Year?
5. Who’s your current role model and why?
I don’t have a role model, but I do try to surround myself with people that have the same values as me and inspire me.
6. Who do you see as being lovely and why? (Famous or not)
My twin sister Sarah. She has the biggest heart in the world. She is the type of person who would answer the phone at 3am to make sure you were okay or turns up at your doorstep with a casserole to make sure you don’t go hungry.
7. What's your favourite type of food?
Ohh, this one is a hard one. I like most foods! Mainly savoury things!
8. What are your favourite pastimes?
Laying in the grass looking into the clouds and having no cares or worries in the world. I love watching time go past and knowing that it's okay.
9. Do you have a favourite quote?
10. Where’s your favourite place?
Home, I’m a homebody at heart!
11. Which is your favourite season and why?
I love Autumn. The skies are blue but the air is crisp. The trees change colour and look stunning.
12. Do you have a signature style?
13. Who was your biggest inspiration growing up and how have they shaped who you are today?
My parents. They have brought me up to be the person who I am today. They are an amazing inspiration that still continues to this day.
14. Which qualities do you value most from those closest to you?
Honesty and love.
15. What are your best attributes? What are your worst?
I am a person that for whomever needs help or support, I will be there 100%. Sometimes I ‘give’ too much to others and I don’t realise that sometimes the people closest to me may need me most, luckily my husband kindly reminds me. ☺
16. How would you most like your friends to describe you?
Friendly, kind, caring and honest.
17. If you could pick any place in the world to live, where would it be and why?
I’m quite happy where I am right now! I just wish my sisters were closer to me!
18. What are your aspirations for the future?
I want to continue to be a great mother and wife who strives to do her best for the family, and someone that inspires children to take on learning with both hands running.
19. Can you recommend: a lovely song, a lovely movie, a lovely book?
- Book: This is tricky as I don’t often find time to read!! I like magazines!
- Movie: I love easy to watch movies, nothing too serious! Something like Pitch Perfect.
- Song: “I gotta feelin'” by the Black Eyed Peas. This song always gets me up dancing.
20. Any Lovely Last Words?
Be kind and treat others how you would like to be treated ☺ simple.